Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Working the corner has a whole new meaning...

I'm sure that this phenomena is not exclusive to where I live...however, I imagine, or at least I hope that it is not undertaken in less climate friendly areas....But I've noticed over the past few weeks that the favored mode of outdoor advertising is people dancing with signs on the street corners. It's really quite disturbing to me. I bike past them and wonder how they can stand there twisting a sign around loking like they care about the content, which is usually somthing like "senior housing" or "new apartments" and the sign is in the shape of an arrow. I can't even figure out what they're pointing at...and I know that if it was me, I would stand on the wrong corner with the arrow pointing the wrong way just to piss people off.

3 comments:

Matthew said...

Yeah, they have those guys around here too. Little Cesaers started having a dancing dude on Lakeway which the sub shop quickly copied. There are also guys walking up and down Meridian advertising furniture stores. They aren't legally allowed to have sandwich boards on the sidewalk, but people can walk and advertise.

Andy said...

It must be some loophole. I've never seen one who didn't have a walkman on. I'm really curious about the psyche of someone for whom that method of advertising is effective.

Linds said...

I agree with Andy. I question it mostly because of my quandry with "targeted marketing."