So...last week while hanging out with the brew class I was challenged to eat a hop pellet. Not knowing that I was hazed through several years with the FFF I think my unwavering acceptance of the challenge was unexpected. Joe usually brews with whole leaf hops, so it has been awhile since I've seen the rabbit food look-alike hops...and I'm sorry to say that after a few beers that evening I can't even tell you which type it was. I am so embarrassed :) In any event, for me, pellet hops taste, (perhaps not unlike rabbit food) like imperial IPA soaked cardboard (mmmmm alpha-acids). It was a worthless if not disgusting experience, not that I couldn't handle the taste (as, under Joe's careful beer purchases, I have become a total hop-head over the past few years), but that it ruined the good taste of the fine ales I had been drinking...and it took some effort to brush it out. Be forewarned, garlic cleans up easier.
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
Hop to it
So...last week while hanging out with the brew class I was challenged to eat a hop pellet. Not knowing that I was hazed through several years with the FFF I think my unwavering acceptance of the challenge was unexpected. Joe usually brews with whole leaf hops, so it has been awhile since I've seen the rabbit food look-alike hops...and I'm sorry to say that after a few beers that evening I can't even tell you which type it was. I am so embarrassed :) In any event, for me, pellet hops taste, (perhaps not unlike rabbit food) like imperial IPA soaked cardboard (mmmmm alpha-acids). It was a worthless if not disgusting experience, not that I couldn't handle the taste (as, under Joe's careful beer purchases, I have become a total hop-head over the past few years), but that it ruined the good taste of the fine ales I had been drinking...and it took some effort to brush it out. Be forewarned, garlic cleans up easier.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
oh god that must have sucked. Something so severe is like declaring war on your palate.
That sounds about as unappealing as it comes. I have had plenty of opportunities to eat beer soaked cardboard, but I usually through it away instead.
Post a Comment