Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2007

...are you there spring?


Garlic! Our winter crop is looking awesome from this side of the soil...we'll see what's beneath soon enough; if things go well we're going to have about 50 heads of garlic. Vampire warding braids shall be given to all :)

We've also noticed a lot of these pretty purple flowers poking up too, whether wild or from previous tenants, they were lovely to see as a first sign of potential spring.

I am anxious to get more seeds in the ground, as this will be our first 'yard garden' instead of container garden. We've got big plans and probably more seeds than the yard can feasibly take. But we'll see how it goes. Our biggest plot of potential planting ground is were our gas pipeline used to be. (You know, the one that was leaking when we first moved in?) So we're hesitant to plant anything we want to eat there- so we're going to try for some jack 'o lanterns and wildflowers and see how it goes. It's too bad too, because not only is it the biggest spot, it's the sunniest. Perhaps next year we can make a giant container and fill it with dirt--sigh, it just seems to defeat the purpose (or my 'yard garden' spirit).

Quasi enjoyed some more time outside as we collected an organized the debris from the apple tree pruning that Joe did last week (while it was hailing). C'mon spring, any time now. We also burnt off the Christmas tree that someone dumped in our yard back in January. Grinch style. If only I had a shot of that, Joe shoving the dead tree foot by foot into our outdoor fireplace... "you're a mean one, Mr. Grinch."

We also got a bike ride in over the weekend and the sexiness of my cold weather biking gear is more than enough to be begging for warmer weather. It was great to get on a lighter, faster bike and although I think 25 miles was a bit much for the inaugural 'back in the saddle again' ride, it was fun (if not entirely grueling and painful). Yoga this week was a good reminder that I haven't entirely recovered, as my quads screamed through the lunges.

2 comments:

Andy said...

I love crocuses. We start seeing them on walks with Barley in February and know that it'll be light out again soon.

Anonymous said...

I suppose it would be 'bad form' then to tell you all that it's 89 degrees and gorgeous here in sunny AZ!

I just love reading these musings.
Thanks for posting!

Love,
Mom