Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Some things that had nothing to do with school that I managed to do winter quarter, Part I

Make Butter:

I would never have attempted this without a kitchenaid...so when I say butter making is easy, I'm not being obnoxious...I really had very little to do with it.
Starting with cream...
The point of no return, whipped cream to milk fat and buttermilk:
Washed and unsalted butter:Results:
1 pint organic heavy cream = 1 cup buttermilk and 1/2 cup butter
Salted fresh butter:1 cup buttermilk = just enough for a modest amount of soda bread

1 modest loaf of soda bread = desire for braised cabbage, carrots and potatoes

.....mmmmmmmm

3 comments:

Big Ben said...

congratulations you have now accomplished kindergarten cooking.

Good to hear something again.

brewmonkeyjoe said...

That coming from the guy who still makes "hamburger helper" three times a week...

Big Ben said...

I haven't made hamburger helper in months.

I just had a flash of making hand churned butter in kindergarten. it was fun as I recall.