I have recently undertaken acupuncture treatment, something I had been talking about with Joe for awhile, and then finally decided to do.
My conversations with Joe centered around alternative treatment more generally, but one of my questions in this context was whether an ancient treatment from China/Japan could be equally successful for people living in a different cultural context? Put differently, I wondered if the impact of acupuncture would be as dramatic for folks who did not have the same everyday life (read: diet, exercise, sleep patterns etc.) of the culture that the treatment was cultivated in?
At this point the question seems rather moot, I absolutely enjoy the treatment. Whether it can be a comprehensive preventative medicine is beside the point...I have never achieved such a relaxed state. Laying on my back on a table with needles sticking out of me brings the matrix to mind, perhaps, but after a few minutes my body/mind finds a place between waking and sleeping that is positively sublime.
Yesterday I walked to my midday appointment from campus, knowing full well I had to return to my office and finish my last paper of the term.
I didn't think about it once. In fact, I emerged from the office stifling giggles. I felt positively giddy.
4 comments:
I wonder if you would have felt the same if you had just laid on your back and relaxed...
You try telling my mind to stop.
Even after a 1.5 hour yoga work out the savasana couldn't bring me down.
I love acupuncture.
me too.
Post a Comment