Well, the Zapatistas have entered a period of silence and reflection (read: they're not talking). Which, in my case is not timed terribly poorly, as tomorrow is my final full day in Chiapas. That said, it throws into sharp relief the complications of doing a Zapatista focused dissertation project. This is not a sudden revelation, I realized some weeks ago that the study I had planned is impossible (notwithstanding the fact that Mut Vitz doesn't exit anymore). That said, I have pursued some alternate avenues and I think that I will still be able to do a study on food and fair trade. One of the most important things that I have picked up on since I've been here is the importance of food sovereignty and autonomy in indigenous communities.
 |
| After the meeting |
Land is important.
Corn is important.
and coffee too, is important.
Coffee (among other things) provides a cash base for the purchase of things that the communities themselves cannot produce (salt, soap, medicines, for example). It is also important in curbing high rates of out-migration to procure cash. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Beyond coffee, I have found that many autonomous communities have additional cooperatives (women's weaving, for example). The weaving that is done by women (and some by men) is sold in shops in San Cristobal and provides much needed cash. I had opportunity to meet with representatives from a weaving co-op and also with two men that make bags out of plant fiber.
 |
| Welcome to San Juan Chamula - a sign on the road to Oventik |
Oh yeah, and Coca-cola is important too. When the Zapatistas started mobilizing (long before the uprising in 1994), the women argued for the restriction of alcohol in communities. As with many peoples and places, the indigenous population in Chiapas deals with alcohol abuse. The women made a strong case against it and alcohol is forbidden in autonomous communities. It however, has been replaced by Coca-cola.
1 comment:
It only worked because Mexican coke is make with delicious cane sugar.
Post a Comment