Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

...dog new tricks

I've just come off a week at the annual professional conference for geographers. I lost my voice due to sickness the week prior and was still recovering, which made me sound as though I'd been chain-smoking since birth and was rather uncomfortable...all things considered. I gave a talk, I used powerpoint. Other people gave talks, they used powerpoint. Because this conference allows any paper to be given that is submitted, I've learned that it is largely a networking opportunity rather than a moment for critical feedback on your own work. But I digress....

I have nothing in particular against powerpoint (except for people who use it to display the full text of their paper, while they read to you). But I want to step out of the linear style of presenting...I have reasons, empirical evidence and other anecdotes to this effect (I won't bore you).

I'm giving a talk (peer reviewed!) at a symposium in Berkeley this coming week and to that end, I took precious hours to teach myself how to use prezi today.

I'm not a particularly expressive/visually creative person...but I think my first attempt is alright. In fact, I'm obnoxiously giddy about it. Tomorrow I will test it in front of my colleagues (which is sure to bring me down to normal). A full report will be forthcoming...

No comments: