But this is less *subtle* (if you had to choose a word).
I drove by a billboard yesterday proclaiming this new flavor of soda only allowed the "10 manliest calories" to remain in the can. I can't find an image of it yet, but stumbled upon other, similar marketing which is equally obnoxious:How can calories have a gendered identity? Oh, right, if we socially construct one.
Not only do our calories now take on gender roles (does this soda make me look fat?), apparently so do our beers:
The new ad line-up for this beer, features a "him" that is 'cold and sweaty,' 'likes to party' and if in can form, wants you to 'crush him.' Our beers now have a persona too. It's not just the beerholder, soda drinker or juicebox that defines you--you now give life to another persona through your purchase.
And I must then too ask, what image are we trying to portray? Manly calories, not for women. Oversexed, bitter; less shrinkage, lager. Machismo comes to mind. Being macho, sexist and lewd is apparently in fashion.
I suppose stupid was at one time too.
Later generations, or possibly alien scientists are going to see some serious signs of psychosis.

No comments:
Post a Comment