Due to circumstances beyond my control I actually did not end up on the caravan tour of coffee cooperatives that is now wending down through Guatemala. Instead, I ended up doing a series of interviews that will lend strength to the backbone of my dissertation argument.Very basically, my argument is that food is an essential element of building autonomy.
So even though I came here to talk to some farmers about this:
| A 'frenchly' pressed Maya Vinic coffee |
| Dried corn and beans just harvested |
| Dried corn |
| Ixim - Maize - Corn |
But both taken together are the bulk of the agricultural systems in autonomous communities in the highlands. And why? You might ask. Because resistance is made up of agricultural acts, both those that contribute to the household in the form of edibles and those that contribute to the community in terms of cash income and solidarity networks.
"Then instead of grieving the rebel seeks other ways to build. Another world is possible."
No comments:
Post a Comment