Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Otra Vez...

The garden entryway where I'm staying
I'm in Mexico again. I may have mentioned that at some point. But this time feels very different. I'm staying with some friends at a beautiful home and commuting to the Universidad de Tierra for my lessons in autonomy with these folks. It doesn't really feel as though I am here.

The classes are very much on campesino time, so we are up early and late. But I never feel bad because they're up earlier and later.

We're in "lecture" for three hours and then we have a pozol break for an hour, and then we have three hours of reading and study time with our own personal Votan (read: person strongly affiliated with the social movement). We then have a two hour break for lunch and then back to class for question and answer for two more hours.  I had some fabulous plan for working on my dissertation since I was going to be staying in the city. Hah!

It is an amazing gift of time and knowledge. I hope I can get it all. Sometimes after a full day of Spanish my brain just shuts down.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Does the pozol taste like a sour mash? Any similarities to Bourbon or adjunct lager?

Linds said...

You're thinking of pozol agrio, which is the sour mash of masa. I think they ferment it for 3 or so days...it's pink. I don't think there's much of an alcohol content because the communities don't allow alcohol...

This pozol is fresh masa mixed with hot or cold water (and sometimes sugar).