Pages

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Milestones

I've been joking for the past few weeks that I'm getting my PhD in three parts. The first part, ceremonial, graduation. The second part, mandatory, the defense. The third part, official, the piece of paper.

That said, I received my ceremonial PhD two weeks ago and it was every bit of the amount of amazing you'd expect. I turned in my dissertation a few days later and I'm now preparing the defense.

Graduating was incredible though. Getting hooded by my advisor, having many of my parents in attendance, seeing Joe in the crowd. It really did make me feel a sense of accomplishment, even though I still have to defend my dissertation before I can be formally called "Dr."

A few short days later Joe and I celebrated 10 years of marriage. This one feels like less of an accomplishment and more of a reality check--has it really been that long since we put rings on each others fingers? 14 years together...

Also, because my family is amazing I put them to work while they were in town and we now have a beautiful new fence:
Before



After

So as my Dad kept saying this was one of two 'da-fences' in my life...onwards to the next dafence...in the meantime we're doing a little hiking and checking on on the whole soccer bit that's been happening right now.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Congratulations, both on the milestone of completing a PhD program, and managing to stay married through it. I'm in awe of the work you've done, and hope you'll get to savor in the completion of such a daunting pursuit. All our love from the Wet side.