It takes about the same amount of time to listen to the Tool album Aenima as it does to watch the apartment building across the lot try to burn itself to the ground.
Sorry I woke you Toph.
But in all seriousness the apartment building closest to us [which is across from us] had shrubbery catch fire (the day after fireworks...I just don't understand) tonight. We can't sleep. The 3 engines, 2 trucks and supplementary SUV's blaring and flashing their lights are a bit sobering. We had been playing a nice game of rummy and sharing a bottle of Viognier; the screen doors letting in all manner of apartment ambiance and I heard someone outside say something had caught on fire...we have had at least 3 false alarms in our building alone...kids pulling the alarm...blah blah blah...I stood up and saw one floor of the apartment directly across from us ablaze. I reached for the phone and Joe reached for our orange bucket. He went to stifle the fire (barefoot and boxers I might add) and I called 911. For all the bad things I've said about the loud, raucous, obnoxious apartment dwellers in our complex (who may have possibly started it--three cars sped off from the scene...cue bad mystery music) at least 5 or 6 guys rallied grabbing buckets, large bowls and locating extinguishers whether personal or apartment supplied to put out the flames. In fact I was feeling a bit silly about having called the fire department because they had calmed the 30 foot flames so well. Until the roof caught fire. Joe said it was like trick candles, watching the shrubbery go out and the wall catch on. Indeed, I had a hard time explaining to the fire department the proximity of the bushes..."how close to the building?" " ZERO FEET! The wall is about to be on fire." And so it was, Joe says the entire wall burst into flames.
So the Tool album ended an hour ago and the lights are still flashing. The flames have been quelled, the dueling chainsaws lulling us into...well, further alertness; both Joe and I were called outside to talk with the "inspector" and the wine is gone. How depressing. 8 days to go until we're out of here...and two apartments crisped. I mean really fried. I know I'm being a bit tongue and cheek but...
We had all our rain for the year in one go and now it's dry enough for whatever caused this. I have nothing nice to say about the weather and its calamity. At least everyone got out. I was so astounded that for all our false alarms no ONE had pulled the fire alarm that while I was one the phone with 911 I screamed for someone to pull the one for the building. We all like to think we did our part. Turns out 6 people called 911, that makes me happy. The last time I called 911 I got put on hold. (of course it was in Los Angeles, during rush hour, in 1997...ask Toph he was there).
1 comment:
At least it didn't interrupt a game of trivial pursuit.
Post a Comment