Okay, so not only did we hang out at the 5th Quadrant on Saturday afternoon sampling seasonal beers, we got into the whole seasonal beer mindset. Unfortunately we were unable to really go for it that afternoon, so we, while taking advantage of subsidized CFL's at the local FM we went a bit beyond the season and grabbed some of the available winter ales: Fish Tales Winterfish, Deschutes Jubilale & Bridgeport's Ebeneezer. We got one bottle of each and went in that order, splitting them as we carved pumpkins, until I realized that I'm just not ready for winter ales yet. I'm pining for pumpkin beer. I did however enjoy the Winterfish as it was a tribute to other hoppy winter ales that I have enjoyed.
On Sunday, we took advantage of the beautiful fall weather to head out into the western wine area. We now realize that we will have to come to grips with Pinot Noir. I understood it was popular, but I had no idea. We visited two wineries before timing forced us back into town for a meeting. There were four Pinot Noir's between them, and we skipped a winery on the way that did only Pinot Noir.


The scenery was beautiful to take in, all the foliage turning...especially the vines. Plus it was 70 degrees, how could you not want to frolic in post season vineyards? Yes frolic. Plus pretty much all the wines we tasted were excellent.
We did make a pitstop in SW on the way home to check out a greater beer selection...it's amazing how even single bottle purchases add up :) We did find a little more variety in Pumpkin Ales, but it seems like everyone is ready for winter ales already. I suppose that's nothing to complain about.
1 comment:
I had the same thought with the pinots when we moved to Portland. I'm not the biggest fan and they are everywhere. Argyle's has become my favorite.
Let's do dinner soon and give em a shot :)
Post a Comment