Pages

Sunday, October 19, 2008

How time flies...

Tomorrow will be the fourth official week of school and my fifth week as a 'productive' student and instructor wandering about campus. FOURTH. I feel as though I have barely even started and now it's almost half over. I have stars in my eyes and a healthy sense of fear. I have an office that is shared with three masters students and I have office hours, sometimes students even come and see me and ask questions. I have classes, I have seminars, I have weekly meetings and reading groups....I love it. Some days I feel in my element and some days I cower at the responsibility of it all and wonder at all the things I don't know (how did I get here?!)

The past few weeks have been mostly devoted to being an instructor and trying to remember what it was like to be a freshman (I'm having difficulty there).

I'm both excited and overwhelmed. Some days favor one over the other.
Just some things:

- the library. I love the library. and it is dead sexy to hear that my books are due back in April. APRIL!

-the people. they are brilliant. they are totally immersed in their research and keen to hear what mine will be.

-the students. they are unbelievable. the don't read, they don't take notes, they don't talk and they turn in papers that have no clear direction or demonstration that they read the assignment.

- the campus. It's huge and beautiful. I'm getting a lot of exercise and have spent some quality time marveling at the trees.

- the academics. Oh the things you can think! I'm taking climatology, two graduate seminars, and two reading groups...it's incredible, I won't bore you with the details.

- our house. It is such a joy to come home to. Joe has been doing some finishing touches and has been taking care of me as I wend my way through all this new territory.

4 comments:

Alan Cordle said...

Student quality is on the decline, I'm afraid. I blame cell phones.

Chris said...

Its a radiation vibe your groovin' on...

Andy said...

Even when I was in undergrad (pre-cellphone ubiquity), students had a way of colluding against expectations and drove down the quality of learning. It pissed me off most of the time, but occasionally worked to my benefit when I'd missed the reading.

Anonymous said...

You sound like you are in your element! I'm glad you are enjoying it all.