Last Wednesday he was diagnosed with severe anemia, on Friday morning he woke us and we rushed him to the emergency vet hospital where they helped him recover (he was placed in an oxygen cage and was given a diuretic) from acute dyspnea, caused by a large amount of fluid in his lungs. They also expressed a concern with potential heart disease, and we spent the weekend on edge trying to encourage him to eat and drink. On Monday we took him to a specialist at OSU, where, due to concerns of dehydration and renal failure (no sign of major heart disease) he was admitted to the ICU for further care. Over the course of the week he responded well to the fluids and was showing signs of improvement. The doctors, having conducted an ultrasound of his heart and then stomach, taken samples from his kidney, liver and spleen and completing numerous blood tests were unable to determine the cause of his anemia (lymphoma-and cancer in general, poisoning, and hemolysis were all ruled out). They began to treat him for potential blood parasites (with doxycyline) and discussed a bone marrow aspiration and/or steroid treatment to stimulate red blood cell production.
I was able to visit him this past Wednesday and he showed definite signs of improvement, he was eating and drinking and was alert and happy and chatted with me when I came into the ICU. After an initial greeting I sat down cross legged beside his cage and he (on a 6 foot IV leash) stepped out and curled up in my lap, for some belly love and then a nap. He looked great and we made arrangements with the vet team to continue his treatment at home while troubleshooting the anemia. Last night, however, he began to take fluid into his lungs again and his red blood cell count was at the lowest it had been yet. He suffered to breathe. Instead of bringing our baby home, we will have to retrieve his empty carrier.
10 comments:
Our condolences. God's speed, giant kitty cat.
Dear Lindsay and Joe,
I can't begin to tell you how much my heart aches for you both. I know how much he meant to you and what a loss this is. He gave more love than most kitties give in all their 9 lifetimes! It was impossible not to adore him! Your home will never be the same, but it will always be warmer and happier because of him! You can never erase the many (many, many) crazy memories that will always make you smile!
Much Love!
Jessie
I'm so sorry for your loss. Quasi was always a favorite of ours...Howard and Max will miss riding him : )
Therese
Linds,
I know words do little to express this sort of grief. Your last gift to Quasi was selfless. I hope you can remember that you took Quasi's pain onto yourself and in that way, relieved him from it.
We love you both.
Michelle
Sorry Linds. That's so sad. Losing family is never easy. I don't remember getting to meet Quasi the one time that I was at your home for new years (the cats were pretty much in hiding and avoiding Chris). But I'm sure he was given an incredible life with parents like the two of you.
Linds and Joe,
We are so sorry. Any one who knew you guys or just browsed through your pictures knows what a big and lovable member of your family he was. Irreplaceable and loved forever.
Love you!
So sorry Joe and Linds, our condolences!
Ah bummer, major suck.
Okay, maybe I should have waited to post until now, after I had scrolled through the photos. I didn't realize how awesome that cat was. Hilarious! Big cat in little spaces... strangely nimble too!
He always sort of reminded me of Garfield.
My best memory of Quas was holding him during the hurricane.
Post a Comment