Pages

Thursday, December 06, 2012

Landfall, proper...

I had the lovely opportunity to get up at 3:30am again for a long day of travel. Although, truth be told, this day was really not that long and is coming to a nice close. I am happily installed in my house in the city (p.s. there are two extra beds...)

They were doing a special revisiting EURO 2012 on all the TVs in DF, which made it slightly more crazy to navigate than usual. The general holding area in the main terminal has changed a bit since I was last there two years ago--it appears that they have been sponsored by Samsung. I didn't take a picture though I was too busy watching futbol (on ginormous Samsung TVs).

It is a spectacular time to be in the city, and I am reminded of two things: (1) that the holidays here mean something completely different than in the States (which makes me think I might like them better); (2) that if I wanted peace and quiet I came to the wrong place.

Especially since it's the holidays.

The festival of the Virgin de Guadalupe is over the next week and the entire downtown is dedicated to the effort. The calle de Guadalupe has been turned into a market and parade and whathaveyou. There's even a ferris wheel. There is music and bells and more fireworks (it seems) than usual. To put this in perspective, the Templo de Guadalupe is about 5 blocks from my house. So I'm in the thick of it. (pictures forthcoming)  

No comments: