Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Staying connected is key...

There are a number of reasons that I have come to greatly dislike my new student loan servicer:
1. The fact that the fed sold my loan to them in the first place
2. The fact that when it was sold to them they tried to collect on it immediately even though it is in deferment because I am a full time student.
3. The fact that they considered my deferment null because conducting fieldwork for my dissertation does not fall under the rigid rules for full time in-school deferment.
4. The fact that they made me deal with all of this while I was in the field.

These are just some things that make me wish I had more choice in who is going to benefit from the payback of my MA debt.

But this, this takes the cake:
email subject: "Proven steps to successfully pay back your loans"
By "liking" Great Lakes on facebook I will not default on my loans. Wow. Nevermind the job market, economic crisis, and neoliberal stance on funding education, as long as I stay connected I'm on the road to success.

Sigh.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Student loans are one of the big remaining scams left. Recent changes in the name of "educating" or "empowering" students really just reduce risk and increase collectability of loans for those giving them. I'm afraid you're in for a bumpy ride.

Tangent, but related: The SEC just approved the use of social media as a legitimate avenue to disclose financial information.

You know, the update was posted on Alpha Centauri...