Pages

Friday, April 03, 2015

Over the border

I wrote about how we had tried to hop the river and see the sites when Joe came to visit me while doing fieldwork. It was going to be quite a headache, so we opted against it. Well, we made good on our decision to try again and spent spring break on a whirlwind tour of some select spots. It was a fabulous way to meet in the middle (as it were) and for me to take a break from being professor...for a whole week!



It was absolutely stunning. We relaxed lakeside, nestled into volcanoes. We traversed a volcano and visited nearby villages. We kept the local breweries in business. We stumbled around cobblestone streets (no relation to beer consumption). We stared at ancient sites while being serenaded by howler monkeys. We hammocked. We snorkeled the reef with sharks, stingrays, turtles and colorful fish. And I still have sand in my shoes and the smell of sunscreen in all of my clothes.

Lago Atitlan

In Antigua

Shadows in Antigua

Arch with volcano shadow - Antigua

Tikal

Tikal

Main Plaza in Tikal

No subir
My Star Wars shot!

Incoming storm, Belize

Pelican

Hammocking

Brilliant seating

Coozies in Caye Caulker

Sunset, last night in Belize

Sunrise en route to Airport


We ate a lot of plantains and tortillas and I drank or ate my way through my weight in tropical fruit. Oh pineapple juice! The rest of our trip can be viewed on the trip photo site (link to right).

My nose is back against the grindstone and I am counting the days (25, lest you wonder) until I am on a plane home.

No comments: