I fully realized on Friday afternoon that this is my last weekend before the academic clock begins to tick. Yes, classes begin on Tuesday and yes, I teach my first class on Wednesday...and suddenly I will have almost 200 students to teach (read: deal with). But it is also the start of my tenure clock at a major research university. As always I have had the competing work/don't work entities on my proverbial shoulders basically all summer and especially this weekend.
So with that in mind I did not sync my files and bring them home. I did not bring home the textbook for my class. I left all my writing on campus. In fact, before checking out for the weekend, I don't think I even woke up my computer to tell it to go to sleep or shut down what I was working on before 5 hours of meetings swept away my productivity earlier in the day.
Instead of doing what I should be doing...I spent the vast majority of yesterday reading for pleasure. And finished the day by enjoying an extravagant meal in an odd setting. It felt good to be generally avoiding campus, not just because it might be one of my few opportunities to actively do so in the near future, but also because it is move-in weekend...and I remember what that's like.
1 comment:
Go get 'em!
Post a Comment