Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Seven & Seven

So, this week I finished two series books; both I had no strong interest in reading when I picked up the first book of the series on loan and both completely took me in, capturing my heart and my imagination. I finished Harry Potter on Saturday and the Dark Tower on Monday. I'm glad all seven Dark Tower books were out when I took the series up (I imagine those who started it in the '70's are wishing they had waited too...since the final book was released in 2003)--there were five Harry's out when I gave Sorcerer's Stone a whirl and after devouring the rest, it became an exercise in 'forced' patience to wait for the continuation of the story. Having read the Harry Potter series more than once, reading each book back to back, I see them in the same light as Lord of the Rings, just one long story, so I was definitely anxious for the final chapters. I loved the endings of both of the series and now that they are done I can read them easily again and again without any anxiousness. Although I probably won't revisit the Dark Tower for awhile. I am incredibly thankful for both series-- in keeping up the fight of good and evil and in keeping generations eagerly reading. And most of all for helping me to lose myself whenever I please.

No comments: