Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2007

End of an Era

As you will recall, at the end of July at the OBF gathering at our house our trusty digicam faltered. A trip to Hilary and being sent out to 'repair' confirmed that it was indeed dead. The chip was fried. I have to admit I was quite unprepared for this situation, I loved that camera and had no designs on replacing it, so I haven't kept up with the changing technology or new releases at all.

We are fortunate enough to have friends in various industries and before I knew it a loaner camera was made available (thank you Andy) so I didn't go mad without one for the last month. It was important to me to have one for Toph & Jess's wedding too. But the time for returning it has come and gone and in the interim I did some research on the new cameras coming out.

I wish I could say that I spent hours comparing the spectrum of brands, but I didn't. I had a pretty good experience with the Sony that I had on loan, but it just didn't produce the shots that I had with my old Canon, I checked out the Olympus camera that John has because he only has good things to say about it...but I kept drifting back to the Canon's. I loved the S230 and I felt comfortable with the functions in the Canon digital elph series.

We descended upon Hilary at her work this Friday and beyond answering all of our questions and letting us play with all the Canon powershots, she patiently steered us in the best direction. Hilary you are a Goddess. We are now the proud owners of the Canon Powershot SD870 IS and damn is it sexy. We took it out to St. Johns Cathedral Park to play around with it yesterday. Oh yeah.

And let me just digress a bit and talk about price. Back in 2002 I purchased the S230 for the same price as we paid today for the SD870 but somehow in my mind I remembered paying a higher total price, that is, more for extra memory. Over the years I had kept the receipt in the manual for the S230 - in 2002 I paid $70.00 for a 128MB CF card. On Friday we bought a 1G SD card for $15.00. My goodness.

Cheers to the S230. My Elements library boasts close to 10,000 photos, all taken with that camera. It was a good 5 years.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Looks like fun - I am still an adamant believer in the canon's. Mine have been built like tanks and really done a lot of work in their respective lives.

Enjoy the new one.