The word "sure" is quite possibly one of the worst words within the English language that can be used as a reply to a "yes" or "no" question. "Sure" is an adjective, as in, indisputable, or careful or inevitable. However, many have used this word as an indication of yes; (Joe included) and it drives me nuts. It is such a non-committal utterance, offering what is more of a maybe than really a definitive answer or actually perhaps, just a space filler as the person answering the question has no idea what you asked them. "Would you like a bag for that?" "Sure." But why!??! It's a newspaper!
Would you like an expanded vocabulary? Sure. Drives me crazy.
2 comments:
I say sure way too much. I'll try to be more assertive...No, I will be more assertive.
or as in "certainly."
The use of sure is just for convenience. Instead of sounding like a dandy and saying "I surely would" when someone axes you if you want paper or plastic, you reply "sure" and save yourself the syllables and the blantant public display of gramatical rigidness that just delays us in our real yearning to "git er dun."
Yes, I meant to spell ask that way. It's how they say it in the future.
Post a Comment